Saturday, March 21, 2015

Angeling: A practice

Morning Angels

Presently I am 'angeling' in Texas.  I'm here helping out my Mom. Two weeks ago my Mom had a stroke.  The stroke hit her swiftly and was located in the cerebellum.  Mom's balance has been affected and her right side weakened.  All other operating systems check out just fine and Mom is recovering well.  

Now, 15 days after her stroke my Mom can saunter slowly along with the help of a cane. The physical therapists in the rehab unit had to remind her to slow down.  Mom's attitude is one of triumph.  My Mom feels as if she has dodged a bullet and is grateful knowing that a full recovery is in sight.  And as her brain rewires, I notice slight improvements daily.   

My Mom is not a women who enjoys being catered too.  She is the one usually in charge. Still strong and independent at 87 years old, My Mom is at the gym 5 days a week. Mom still lives alone and though her sight is greatly impaired she runs a successful house hold.  She has raised four strong willed children. Mom is a planner and still hosts family holidays in her home. The large dinning room table is set with fine china days before any of us will sit there and food preparations always begin months in advance.  Having all her family around one big table brings Mom joy.

For many years my relationship with my Mom has been complicated. 
Today I cook and clean for her.  She is the queen and captain of her home and I have willingly signed on as first mate on this tightly run ship.  Occasionally Mom barks orders and I answer aye yi, and follow Captain Mom's orders to a T.

I veiw my time as care giver for Mom through the eyes of a Karma Yogi and find being in service a blessing.  Mom is gracious and accepting of my mainly vegetarian cooking style.  She tells her friends when they call, "Oh yes Eva is here and caring for me. All our meals are gourmet."  My cooking is well received and for this I am grateful.  Personally I am not here as servant,  I am here because she is my Mom. 

Caring for aging parents or children is a practice of love.  Viewing my time here in Dallas with Mom as a yoga practice, is helping us both.  Mom's an able adult and has her own way of doing things.  My job is to keep the order she understands. This is an important part of my practice. Helping my Mom feel 'safe' by providing safety through order.  This in turn allows my Mom ease.  Mom can relax and her energy can be directed toward healing rather than the maintenance of space.    

Mom gifted 'You've been Angeled' angels to many who cared for her in the hospital. I was touched she honored me and the medical community with our creations.  A nurse named Renato was overwhelmed by Mom's gifting, hugging her twice! It was very touching.

Mom is proud of what my sister and I do in the world and we're proud of her!

Angel well my beauties!  Hugs

No comments :

Post a Comment