Thursday, November 5, 2009

Angel Grief

On Tuesday November 3rd voters in Portland, Maine went to the polls and voted YES On 1. This vote revoked the right for same-sexed couples to marry in Maine. I spent some time working for the No on 1 campaign. Civil rights are important to me. I do not feel its governments right to dictate how and whom one loves. There is much fear these days and so many dictates and persuasions form thinking. I was hoping the state I live in would be the first state in the nation to finally allow the right of marriage for all.

Watching how much trouble we as collective are having with change is upsetting. The struggle many have with the issue of same-sex marriage began mirroring the inability we as a society have toward change. The mighty dollar, education of our children, values, and religion is used, time and time again, as justification and cover for fear. And, have you noticed; everyone is a victim these days. Play the victim card in an argument and immediate sympathy abounds. I know I’m over simplifying my arguments. I honor some issues are very complex.


This morning, the question becomes how do I personally deal with moving forward in the face of what I feel is ethically immoral. How does one become a spiritual activist? Gandhi held a vision, he said No to violence, and embodied non-violence. He lived a footprint that reflected his beliefs. He walked his talk, and Gandhi was assassinated. Yet the resonance of how he lived and spirit lives on.

When are we as a nation going to take an ethical stand and say no? No to those who won’t provide health care for all citizens. No to those who feel their way of loving is wrong and others’ ways of loving are right. And say No to those who will not take a stand on climate change.


Claude Levi- Strauss was known as the father of anthropology. He lived to be 100. He found that roots of myth and story telling and ability to live in a connection with all of life were inherent in the language patterns of the tribes he studied. He was the first to unearth wisdom in ‘savage’ societies. The study of anthropology changed because of this man. This wise man, at the end of his life lost hope.

“There is today a frightful disappearance of living species, be they plants or animals. And it's clear that the density of human beings has become so great, if I can say so, that they have begun to poison themselves. And the world on which I am finishing my existence is no longer a world that I like.”

The sad part is, I think we understand the problems. And as Claude Levi-Strauss so bluntly points out there are many of us and we are taxing our resources on many fronts. And even though we may understand the harm our actions are causing, we still use money, religion, and politics, as justifications when forming a solution or opting for a non-solution.

No one wants to turn the ship. Scientists, economists, astute political and new age leaders are yelling, “Turn the ship, this vessel is taking us to a place we don’t want to go.” Who’s listening? We are leaving our children an inheritance of greed and grief. We think Obama was left with problems, the legacy we are gifting our children with bear’s examination.

I love people. I love earth. I love the magic of being alive. I don’t love what I am presently aligned with as an integral part of this culture and society. What is the stance of compassion in the face of cultural ignorance and dogma? How do I stand? What is the face of spiritual activisms? How do I act? What is the stance of active love? How do I love? These are my morning questions.

1 comment :

  1. Andrew Harvey says we must all evolve, that even the angels are evolving. His new book is called 'Hope.' He says to wake up at 3 am and ask yourself: which of all the causes that I support breaks my heart the most? and then work passionately for that cause. For him it's the animals.

    ReplyDelete