Friday, May 7, 2010

Angel's Incarnating/Friends departing...

There is this breath,
This place in between and moving toward dream
This sigh Before creation.

I have had the privilege of visiting two friends in Hospice this week.
I had the honor of observing their labored rhythmic to un-rhythmic open mouthed breathing.
I remember watching babies sleep in much the same way.
I am struck by the similarity of the comings and goings of breath.
Spirit incarnating into the body and spirit leaving the body born from the same beat.

The word for spirit and breath in Hebrew is Ruach.
I also think Ruach is used to describe wind.
The sound of breathing and the cadance of breathing is so primal. When my children were first born and many days after, I would lay awake holding space for their paper thin spirits fully embodying their small forms. I would know when something was not quite right by listening to their breating...

It is the same with my friends' families who sit listening and watching breath.
Each new rhythm is the harbinger of a new stage of release...
I am sitting in vigil with breath once again as I hold my dying friends' hands.
I am in wonderment at the tenacity, the fragileness the beauty the gift we have been given, this life. I am in awe of the life fire their breaths have fanned...

How can we treat each other in ways that are unthinkable knowing our time is so short amongst the beauty of trees.
I could go on and on...and I won't this a.m.

1 comment :

  1. Breath ~ the sound of our Divinity ~ the first and last sound we speak. Our voice calling out to the great vastness of the Divine, we are all one.

    Thank you for sitting with friends.

    Our passing a gift as much as our lives.

    I sit with you in Awe.
    Love to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete